Pure Dead Brilliant English

Monday, September 11

Homework Sheet 2

Second close reading sheet...Click below!


Higher Close Reading Homework – Sheet 2

Subordination, Minor Sentences, Parts of Speech, Prepositional Phrases and Punctuation.

Copy into jotters!

Subordination – circle the main clauses and underline the subordinate clauses.

1. When I get home, I will make your dinner.
2. I fell into the puddle.
3. The book is on the table under the newspaper,
4. The bus stops here on a Wednesday but not on a Friday.
5. If you miss the bus, you will have to walk.

Minor Sentences – write out the minor sentences from this paragraph

Help! I’ve fallen into a trap. Again. How could this happen to me? I didn’t deserve this type of treatment. Not me. Someone else-yes. I’ll just have to deal with it and try my best. What next?

Label EVERY word in each sentence with their part of speech.

1. I slept soundly last night, but the wind kept Jane up.
2. The tree grew an enormous peach on the end of its branch.
3. On hearing the news, I ran rapidly to tell the others.

Prepositional Phrases – Move the prepositional phrase in the sentence, and comment on the effect of the change.

1. On the X-Factor, tomorrow, Simon Cowell will get a surprise.
2. I went to the shops without my purse.
3. Between you and I, I don’t really like him.
4. Frankie felt sick looking at the picture.

Punctuation – Say what the punctuation marks in bold are doing in each sentence

1. The dogs coat wasnt very warm.
2. Andrew the boy you met earlier lives in Glasgow.
3. I had so much to do: make the dinner; pay all the bills feed the dog, the cat and the canary; iron the clothes.
4. In the evening, I shall sit in the back garden.
5. We saw Romeo and Julietlast night.
6. It could be wrong, it could be right, it could be neither
7. I waited for ever - or so it seemed.
8. I can’t meet you tomorrow night: I have a prior appointment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home